Sunday, July 20, 2008

Knitting help for beginner knitting easily carried away

Here is my top 10 insider tips on making socks. I hope this "knitting help" from me turn out useful to you.
  1. A well-done Kitchener stitch graft of the toe is a thing of beauty and will make you the envy of others. Plus it makes the sock MUCH more comfortable.
  2. When you're doing the ribbing at the top, the rule of thumb I follow now is "when you're sick of doing ribbing, you've done enough to hold the sock up." Just make sure you measure the first one so thesecond matches.
  3. Speaking of matching, when working with yarns that self-stripe, orself-pattern, etc., fraternal twin socks are WAY easier on the brainthan trying to manage identical twins. Especially if you're juststarting out.
  4. Figure out whether you like 4 or 5 needles better and go with that. Using 5, having 4 in the sock, fit right into my hands perfectly. Others will encourage you to use 2 circulars instead of the dpns. Try both, see what works for you.
  5. When you finish sock #1, start #2 right away. Like within seconds. Just trust me on this. :)
  6. Figure out whether you like 4 or 5 needles better and go with that. Using 5, having 4 in the sock, fit right into my hands perfectly. Others will encourage you to use 2 circulars instead of the dpns. Try both, see what works for you.
  7. If you're using 2 colors on a row (I realize you aren't, this time around), turn the sock inside out so you're knitting on the inside... then you aren't so likely to pull the sock in.
  8. For ME...you may not find it so...I found a heel that I like and that's the only one I use. I make lots of socks, large and small, and use it for all of them. They look good, wear well.
  9. Make both socks at the same time, particularly if they are done on size 0s or 1s in a large size. That avoids 2nd sock syndrome. It's the big socks on tiny needles that lead me to SSS. It's fun to knit 20 rows on one and then 20 rows on the other. At least, I think so. ;) (I'm easily entertained!).
  10. Be careful to use a cast on that is not too tight.
  11. Try both the top/down and toe/up to see which you like better.
If you like my knitting help so I can remember few yet ;)

No comments: